Skip to main content

Rogers and Fido: Liars, Liars, Pants on Fire





Morning update: I can't text anyone because the loaner phone from Fido is too small to see and the keyboard is made for rodents.

It's nearly 11 p.m. and I am in a technology conundrum.
I can't sleep having spent the better part of the day and night in consultation with Fido and Rogers about my a) crap Android phone and b) my move-over to Rogers from Bell Fibe.
Let's recap.
About a year ago, I bought a Galaxy phone and it never did work. I took it back to Fido, my carrier, and got it fixed once. But it still was crapping out on me, so I took it back again. Then I got frustrated, figuring I had a lemon phone and bought a new one, at a cost of nearly two hundred bucks, less the crappy discount.
Scott told me that the Nexus Five was the bomb, but mine was more like a fizzled firecracker. On Sunday, the damned thing stopped taking and receiving calls. Today, Scott took it back and it's in for repairs for 15 days. That leaves me with a rental, that should be in the Museum of Science and Technology. It looks like something Maxwell Smart might have tossed in a fish tank back in the Sixties.
Needless to say, I was not impressed and put Scott on the phone to see if the phone I'd just bought a month ago could be exchanged. It could not.
We were offered the waiving of a $25 fee and a discount on a new phone which just meant I would have to fork out another $300 for yet another crap phone.
Thank you, Rose, thank you very much for being a loyal subscriber to Fido.
In another galaxy, far, far, away, I engaged with Rogers Cable this evening to rectify problems associated with my switch from Bell Fibe back to Rogers. I left Rogers a year ago because the damned company lies like a Persian rug.
The switch back to Rogers was truly heart felt.  Bell Fibe kept cutting out ten to twelve times a day, usually in the middle of a compelling Roger Federer match or the end of Dexter.
The offer I was given by Rogers was that I could switch back for $110 bucks a month for a year and then my bill would rise to $150 the year after. Not bad, not bad, I thought. We signed up, and on my birthday, I received my brand spanking new Rogers cable boxes and Internet.
Unfortunately, the VIP service I had ordered had changed since I was last a subscriber.
The old service included TMN and HBO.
Not anymore.
Apparently, there are three or four versions of VIP, depending on who you talk to at Rogers.
Ours didn't include anything good, so we spent my birthday and weekend watching Big Bang Theory reruns.
We called at least a dozen times and my calls were dropped. Nobody could explain why we didn't get the services we ordered.
Tonight, I'm told we owe Rogers not $110 but $280, that our service does not include TMN and HBO, and that there was no evidence that Rogers added a credit to compensate us for switching from Bell, which tells us we have to cancel 30 days in advance.
Fortunately for us, we have our offer in writing.
We'll see what tomorrow will bring.
All I can say is bring on the competition.
Anything is better than the crap we're getting in Canada today.
Or is it?
 
And now this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein